Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Week 1 Day 4 - The Sink

Today at school it was much of the same routine that we have had all week. We got some good time in studying and reviewing for our ServSafe food safety test tomorrow. I am starting to feel a bit more confident about it. But, I would not be honest if I said I was not nervous. I can't even recall the last time I did an exam. It was THAT long ago! When Chef mentioned that he would supply a "#2" pencil I laughed. The last time I did such a test we called it an "HB" pencil. For those who don't know what that is, it was the next writing instrument after a rock and chisel.

After a workout at the nearby gym and some studying I decided it was time to not rely only on King Soopers or Safeway for my dinner. Boulder is known as one of the "foodiest" cities in the USA. If I am working on a culinary program I had better get out and try some of the local food. After an extensive internet search (Yelp, Urbanspoon, Google, and the Food Network web site) I figured that a place recommended by Guy on "Diner's Drive-ins, and Dives" was worth my time and what little money I have.

So I found myself at "The Sink" - a true college dive. The atmosphere is truly for the college-aged -- low ceilings where you can write your name, cool artwork from the 60's on the walls, lights covered in stickers, an extensive bar, funky and fun-loving servers, loud music (there is NO way I know the bands), CU Buffs logos everywhere, and me (old enough to be the father of everyone else here). But, you do not have to be young to appreciate the place. The food is great and the place is fun for all ages.

Guided by Guy, I chose the Cowboy Rueben (a grilled sandwich with brisket, cheddar cheese, and their special BBQ sauce). The meat was tender and tasty and the sauce (a Kansas City style BBQ) had a nice balance of heat and flavour. This came with a tangy and refreshing cucumber slaw and sweet potato fries that were nice and crispy on the outside and soft interior.

It did make me think about what makes a good and memorable meal. What is better: A fancy "fine dining" experience with white table clothes and $25-$40 entrees that serve 200 covers on a Friday night OR a lovable college dive and $10 entrees that serve 800 covers on that same Friday night? It is somewhat unfair and, in the end, pointless to compare them. They are offering different things to different clientele. Granted, the skills and techniques needed to bring you an excellent froi-gras are significantly more than grilling a sandwich and fries. But, one has to appreciate a restaurant that has been in business since 1923. A location down the street has seen many many "fine dining" places come and go over that time.

One offers fantastic ingredients, creativity, and artists expressing themselves through food. The other gives us simple comfort food cooked by college students slaving away to pay for their education who may have only learned the fry station a week ago. One is accessible by only those with enough disposable income to spend $100 per person on a meal. The other is frequented by rich, poor, students, professionals, or those in the midst of a career change and struggling to follow a dream. In the end, both offer an atmosphere where friends can gather to laugh, enjoy time together, feel served and cared for, and where the food (whether fancy or comforting) is something that offers a shared experience and can be considered good and memorable.

I know that I am gifted - and spent many years - at serving people and creating "spaces" for young and old to retreat, to be refreshed, to fellowship, and to be renewed. I pray that over the next six months I develop more skills, techniques, and passion to serve people and creating good and memorable experiences with good and memorable food.

(c) Charles Neil Riley - 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment