Sunday, April 29, 2012

Orientation

My culinary school adventure began a couple days ago. 14 students (2 were not able to be there) gathered in one of the kitchens at the school for an "orientation" to our next 6 months.  We were introduced to a line up of staff that varied from the career services personnel to the director of admissions. They gave us an overview of the program and services at the Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts.

But, what I and most of the other students really wanted were three things ....

(1) to get our "kit" which included our books, the oh-we-are-looking-good uniform, and the oh-we-love-gadgets knife and equipment set. The books weighed more than I did and I admit I am nervous about all the reading I have to get accomplished - wow! The uniform was a set of burgundy-coloured chef's jackets (makes us look very sharp), black baggy pants (hardly stylish), and an assortment of caps, towels, etc.. But the coolest was the set of knives and equipment in a knife bag that was the size of small suitcase that we have to carry around with us every day.  I was patient (for perhaps 10 minutes after I left the building) to open this up.

(2) to meet our "Chef Instructor".  Unlike much post-secondary education this type of culinary school depends on a class having a single "chef instructor" who will lead us through the intensive training regimen over the next six months.  This person is best thought of as our boot camp drill instructor!  The head chef instructor, Chef Michael, clearly explained that we will have little time for our own creativity (particularly during the first portion of the program). Their job is to teach, and ours to learn, a great deal of procedures and techniques that are not open to debate or experimentation. Escoffier developed and wrote about it over a century ago, generations of cooks have followed his techniques since, and therefore it is good enough for us. Period. Our program, given to us in a large binder, is laid out day-by-day (and likely minute-by-minute). Our chef instructor, Chef Greg, will drill us through correct technique, correct uniforms, and correct procedures.  I doubt he, or the program, is so rigid as I presently fear it will be. But, better to be prepared mentally for that than expect something more laissez-faire and then have to do whatever the culinary school equivalent of US Marine boot camp push-ups or attitude adjustments my CI feels is necessary. "Yes, Chef!" “OORAH!”

and most importantly (3) to meet our fellow students.  I was pretty interested in meeting the other culinary boot camp members; with whom I would be spending a great deal of time for the next 6+ months. Okay, I'll admit it. I was not just "interested" I was very nervous about it!  As a 49-year old I was worried about how I would fit in to a young-person's world.  It was very evident that, in fact, we were all sizing one another up.  As I came into the kitchen, and as more and more students arrived, my worst fear was realized. I was clearly the oldest person there. Ugh.  I'm guessing the next oldest is a guy about the same age as my oldest son. That "kid" also fed into another anxiety of mine  - he has been cooking on the line in restaurants for eight years! Granted, I was also to learn that some of the other students (as young as 18) had never stepped into a kitchen before. Whew; that was somewhat comforting. As I blog over the next six months I'll introduce you to some of my fellow students; some of which I  have already learned have some very interesting stories.  I just hope the other students stop calling me "sir"!  The first one to call me "grandpa" may just end up "accidentally" having too much salt in their brown sauce! ;-)

The adventure begins Monday!

3 comments: